Baked Vegan Cheesecake (nut-free!)
Baked Vegan Cheesecake! Rich & creamy with a crumbly crust. Unlike most vegan cheesecake recipes, it doesn't contain any cashews so its lower in fat and totally nut free!
YOU GUYSSS!! I am so excited to finally share this recipe with you. I have tested this recipe so many times because I LOVED cheesecake when I was younger (despite my lactose intolerance) and wanted to get the right balance of flavours and textures. After some time in the kitchen, I finally got it down (if I do say so myself ;)).
Most vegan cheesecake recipes that I have seen use a ton of nuts, in particular cashews. Now I have nothing against cashews, I mean I love cashews but they can get expensive and a ton of nuts at once don't seem to sit well in my stomach. I was playing around with my Tofu "Yogurt" recipe and added some maple syrup and lemon... and it oddly really reminded me of the flavour of cheesecake. Then I saw a cheesecake recipe using yogurt in a food magazine I happened to be browsing when waiting for my appointment at the dentist.
My first attempt was just baking some blended tofu, lemon juice, sweetener and flour over a graham cracker crust and it was meh. There was a ton of flavour elements still missing so I went back to the drawing board and did a little research. I ended up deciding to add in more lemon juice for tang, nutritional yeast for a cheesy note, miso paste for a hint of savoury and my favourite ingredient that I think ties this cheesecake together: sake kasu (aka sake paste).
Now, I know sake paste is not the most easiest ingredient to find but I highly recommend you to check the asian grocery store the next time you're there. You can totally skip the sake paste if you can't find it or want to keep it alcohol free but it does add a depth of flavour to the cheesecake which I personally love.
As a final touch, decorate and enjoy this cheesecake with some coconut cream and fruit! They pair magically with this cheesecake giving it more decadency and freshness.
I hope you make this vegan cheesecake & love them as much as I do because it's:
- vegan & vegetarian friendly
- nut free
- low in fat without compromising flavour
- only 8 ingredients
- simple & easy to make
- & so light, creamy and satisfying
If you make this delicious vegan cheese cake please share it and let me know what you think by tagging me on Instagram @lisakitahara, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
- 3.5 tbsp (50g) vegan butter
- 7 rectangle (100g) honey-free graham crackers
- 2.5 cups 600g soft tofu (pressed 400g)
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 3.5 tbsp (50g) sake paste (optional but highly recommended if you can get your hands on it)
- 1/3 cup (100g) maple syrup (or white sugar, which will yield a white-er cheesecake)
- 4 tbsp AP flour
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 2.5 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Bake time: 1 hour
- Rest time: Over night
- Makes 6-8 servings
- Pre-heat oven to 160 C (350 F)
- meanwhile, in a food processor, process the crackers until fine then add the vegan butter until incorporated. In a lined cheesecake pan press the crust down flat evenly
- blend pressed tofu, miso paste, sake paste, maple syrup, lemon juice, flour and vanilla into a high speed blender until smooth and then pour it over the crust
- place into the oven and bake for 1 hour
- let it cool and sit over night
- serve with your choice of toppings! (whip cream goes amazingly)